Saturday, April 20, 2013

They Needed Me

It started last night.

I moved to Easton about a month and a half ago. And, I've come to find out that when it's raining in Franconia, it's most likely a complete typhoon out in Easton.

Last night, Ben, Jake and I went to see the late show in Lincoln, and we drove the back way home, which goes through Easton and the White Mountain National Forest. At the end of Easton Road - even further than where I live - it's extremely rural and scarcely populated. There's maybe around five houses, all spread out over about three miles. So when you are driving like that at night, it can be a little creepy. When it's hailing, raining and the wind is blowing 30 miles per hour, it's even creepier.

Imagine if you were caught out in that, completely helpless and alone at midnight.

And then, I saw it. This little chihuahua wandering out in the middle of the road in the dead of the night. Our headlights shined on it's cloudy eyes, showing that it was most likely blind.

I leapt out of the car to try and coax the poor little thing into my arms, but it was so frightened. I tried so hard but it just kept running away; breaking my heart. Ben and Jake reassured me that I did all I could do, and guiltily, we drove away.

By the time I drove back out to my house in Easton, about a half an hour had passed. I pulled into my driveway and said to myself, "What the hell am I doing?" There was no way I would be able to sleep knowing I did nothing to help that little dog. So, I put my car in reverse, and headed out towards the National Forest to see if I could find them.

I didn't find the dog though. Instead, I found three other ones. At this point it had to be around one in the morning. These beautiful little creatures were just stranded out here, in the pouring rain, and harsh winds, without a house around for at least a mile. And why on earth were all FOUR of them out here like that? No collars or anything.

I freaked out though. I didn't know how I was going to catch four dogs and then shelter them for the night, especially when I had to be up for work in five hours.

I drove home to try and find a box or something I could put them in since the cat carrier I had grabbed in haste was not going to fit four of them. But then I started to get nervous about how I was going to do this. What if they were totally wild and mean? What if they bit me? Not to mention I'd be out there all alone with no cell phone service...

So I did what any girl would, and called my boyfriend. Being the loyal and caring guy he is, he got up out of his bed at 1:30 am to help me go get the dogs. At this point we didn't even know if we'd find them, but I couldn't sleep knowing I didn't at least try.

But we found them. All four of them, but they were in groups of two. He grabbed the first one and put him in my car, and he almost had the second one but he slipped and the little guy wriggled out of his grip. After that, the dog was pretty well spooked and ran up in the woods. The other two were no success either; they were so scared, they just ran from us.

But at least I saved one. I called him Charlie. It just sort of slipped out, and I didn't even know if it was a boy or a girl at this point. (It ended up being a boy, so it worked out nicely). Charlie stayed the night with me and gave me kisses and wanted to sit on my lap all night. But, by now it was 2:30 in the morning and I had to wake up for work in only a few hours, so I had to put him to bed. He whined a little bit, but can you blame him? He was away from his brothers and sisters and in a strange place with other unfamiliar dogs staring at him through a baby gate.

By 5:30 I was awake. At 7:00 I was out the door, with Charlie wearing a harness and on a leash. I was planning to just bring him to a shelter, but something compelled me to go back to the woods and look for the dogs.

So I did. And I found them.

I scooped one up, but the blind one was petrified. A man in a truck pulled up and helped me, then another man came a little later. The second man finally got a grasp on the dog, and it bit him pretty hard. I felt bad, but I couldn't thank him enough for helping me. I do hope he is okay, though...

So here I was. The crazy chihuahua lady driving around with three dogs that didn't even belong to her. I was convinced at this point that the fourth dog wandered off and didn't make it through the night. I was even surprised that these two were there in the morning, alive and well! I'm so happy they were though.

As I drove into town to try and figure out where to bring these pups, questions kept circling my mind. Who did this? Why did they do this? Do they belong to anyone? I didn't believe this was an accident though. With all four dogs out there, all collarless, pure bred and groomed, I called bullshit. And even if these pooches do belong to someone, I hope they don't get them back! Because why the fuck was no one out there searching for them? Where were their owners?! Obviously, if they have any owners, they are not deserving or capable of giving the love and attention these precious babies need!

I finally ended up getting in touch with a board member of the humane society in Littleton, who happened to be my old principal, Mr. Larcom. His wife met me in town and took the three dogs I saved. I was still worried and upset that I couldn't save the fourth one though. Mr. Larcom was confident he could find the fourth one though.

And he did!

All four of the dogs were taken to the humane society shelter, and are safe and warm tonight.

A lot of people told me what an amazing and wonderful act this was that I performed this past night and day. But, I never even thought of it as anything other than obligation. When I first saw that dog, I knew I had to do something. They needed me; I could feel it in my bones. Who knows how many cars drove by them last night and this morning and just kept driving? I don't want attention or to be thanked for helping the dogs, I just want to share my story and be grateful that they are okay and safe now. I pray that these dogs find a loving, healthy, and comfortable home to live in and they can start off their new and happier lives.

When I talked to Mr. Larcom, I mentioned how bizarre it was that all four of these beautiful and healthy dogs were out here like this, yet they had no collars, and no owners were looking for them. He informed me that there is a puppy mill in Lisbon, and when the dogs are no good for breeding anymore they will do terrible things to get rid of them.

Such as dump them in the middle of the national forest during a thunder and hail storm where they can be left to die.

I realized that this was one of those times in life where the terrible and unbelievably cruel realities of the world were staring me right in the face. Nobody ever wants to believe that humans are capable of doing something so nasty and harsh, but then there's times when it's right in front of you, and you have to step back and reassess your life. You have to think about and look at if you are doing anything to make the situation better.

I'm happy I was able to make this particular situation better, and it's only inspired me to try and become involved with the Humane Society to try and help other animals in trouble.

It's remarkable that I made such an impact of these four dogs lives today just because I was doing what needed to be done; no questions asked.

What's more remarkable, though, is that their four little noses, eight little ears, and sixteen little paws impacted my life, and have enabled me to reassess and alter myself to make sure I am doing my part to help.

They needed me, but I'm starting to think I needed them just as much too.



No comments:

Post a Comment