Saturday, January 11, 2014

Yeah, Man.

Writing wouldn't be such a powerful tool if authors continually stayed inside the lines. If everyone just said what they thought people wanted to hear, there would never be any truth or essence in literature. Honesty can be cruel and unforgiving, but it's brilliant.

What I have to say is too opinionated for a facebook status, and would start a comment war, which although that would be entertaining, I'm not interested in having a million useless notifications. Also, I think the people who are going to understand what I have to say are going to read this blog post. And, maybe if I am lucky, I will get a few naysayers in here too, who will leave a comment.

Before I start, let me just state something first.

It is absolutely none of my business whether or not people smoke pot. If they want to do that, great; good for them.

With that said, I really could give a rats ass about how amazingly high you were last night and that you smoked the fattest joint ever rolled in the history of rolling joints. Or, that after you ripped your bong "100 times" you ate the most deliciously crafted cheeseburger that surely came from Heaven because it was just that good. I could also live without knowing the name of every "piece" or "glass" you own, and the story behind where and when it came into your possession.

I understand passion. Every emotion I feel and express is often associated with the word "dramatic," but I prefer to call myself passionate. I am incredibly passionate about writing, clearly. And, I hope to one day make it my career. I live for the high I feel after perfecting a difficult sentence, or finishing a story. Maybe that's lame, and if so, then I'm lame too.

I also understand money. Money talks. I dig that. I also can see how painfully our economy is suffering.  There are so many people who need jobs that just aren't available. It sucks, and I live in fear that once I earn my degree, there won't be a job to apply for within my field. I live paycheck to paycheck now, and I am afraid I always will.

Another thing that I understand and appreciate is nature. I live in the White Mountains for God's sake, how can I not love the landscape surrounding me? The air here is so clean and fresh. Where I live is so unique and special, because of the nature that I am engulfed in every day.

Would you like to know what I don't understand?

I don't understand why there is so much passion from people about legalizing marijuana. Here's a concept, what if you were as passionate and pressing about the job you currently have, rather than the idea that legalizing marijuana will solve all your financial whoas? What if, you spent more time researching ways to make your current job more lucrative instead of conjuring up why you should start a pot farm because you would be so amazing at it? How about starting a real farm stand, with tomatoes and lettuce and carrots because if you are so confident in your farming skills, why not put them to use for something that would actually put some money in your pocket?

And I know, I get it. It's from the earth. It was created by "God" so how could it be harmful?

I'm going to go smoke some poison ivy that I've been growing outside. It's from the earth right? Harmless. Nature. Yeah, Man.

5 comments:

  1. awesome. I am so sick of seeing people so passionate about weed and fighting to legalize it when I keep hearing that you cant even drink the water in the white mountains most of the time, get behind that, fix that issue, its a little more pressing. I don't even live in new Hampshire and I think that should probably be your first priority other then the legalization of marijuana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have many problems with this.

    passion for the legalization of marijuana is not mutually exclusive with passion for other things. just because someone campaigns for legalization doesn't mean they don't also work hard promoting conservation efforts or other "worthwhile" activities. you also don't get to decide what makes other people happy, or what makes them feel like they're doing something meaningful.

    don't confuse the guys from pineapple express with your average pot smoker, either. for very few people is legalization a financial issue. it's not likely to have a major effect on prices for recreational users, and it's a select group of people who intend to make money as distributors and an even smaller portion of those who'll actually succeed.

    clearly you do have issues with marijuana use, and that's fine. but don't first tell us that you don't care and then thinly veil what comes across as disgust. don't make friends with smokers. problem solved.

    p.s. it's spelled woes, not whoas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you missed the point...

      I really don't care if people smoke. Truly. But I do care when people sit there and brag about it. This was a parody of that. Example; I love Grey's Anatomy. It makes me really happy. I would prefer to spend my days watching Grey's than doing anything else. If I could make money from watching Grey's, I would. But do I share some stupid picture over Facebook every chance I get? No. That was my point in writing this blog post, not to strike a sensitivity chord with you, which I clearly did, Anonymous.

      p.s. I've never seen Pineappe Express.

      p.s.s. Making a jab at a spelling error, classic.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete