Monday, January 13, 2014

Dirty Laundry

I talked to one of my mom's oldest friends on the phone today for about two and a half hours. I've known her my entire life, but I haven't seen her in probably four years, maybe even more; long enough that I don't remember. I've never actually sat and talked with her for as long as I did today, and I have to say, it was awesome. She's a riot, and hearing her stories about when my mom and her lived together were hilarious too. She has a son who is about four or five months older than I am. Growing up, I always thought he was my cousin or something; family. She told me the story about when she went into labor with him, and my mom was the one who saw her through the entire delivery. What a sight for sore eyes that must have been: two pregnant ladies coming into the hospital together, one ready to give birth and the other one holding her hand the entire way.

It's something to think that was almost twenty-one years ago. When I was in the seventh grade, I thought the people in their senior year of high school seemed so big and old. But once I made it there, I didn't feel so big or old. Although, the seventh graders didn't look to be any older than about nine.

It's strange entering into being twenty. Twenty always seemed so far off and distant; so adult.

I did a copious amount of laundry today and lately I've desperately been trying to get rid of some clothing (mostly because I want to go shopping even more desperately). I always gave away clothes because they didn't fit anymore, were worn out, or I just didn't like them anymore. But, I have articles of clothing that I bought when I was thirteen, and they still fit. Some plain black shirts just don't go out of style, and they hold up, so why chuck them? Others are still just so cute and fun, but I am forcing myself to oust them because I am not thirteen, nor do I want to look thirteen (which at times can be difficult because I haven't changed much since then, clearly, since my clothes still fit).

In the midst of my laundry escapade, I came across this hot little number from Charlotte Russe: A royal blue body con skirt that stops about six inches above the knee. Sexy little thing. I bought it when I was sixteen.

I'm retiring her to the Good Will pile...

As I folded the little piece of stretchy fabric, it got me thinking. That skirt is not the only piece of clothing that needs to go if I want to be taken seriously. So then, I started making a mental list. That mental list has expanded into this post, because I think some others can relate. And if they can't, then they need to.

1. Practically anything from Hollister or Abercrombie
I mean come on. Besides, I'm a pretty dainty person, and I wear a size L in both of those stores... and usually I still need a size up, but it doesn't exist.

2. Socks that are any color other than black, white, grey or navy blue
I know, they are so fun, but rainbow cheetah print doesn't look very nice when you are over the age of 12.

3. Barrettes
Not to mention those stopped being cool in like 1997... But seriously, just use a bobby pin.

4. Graphic T's
"Summer fun in the sun! Est. 1984" You know you still have at least one...

5. Letterman jackets
These probably don't exist anymore anyway, but even the jackets with your high school sports team logo, your name and jersey number. Yeah... no...

6. Neon
Unless its workout gear or a sophisticated accent (which it never is) it needs to go! This applies to nail polish too.

7. It's ugly but sentimental
I won a million t-shirts and sweatshirts from countless sporting events, but I never wear hardly any of them. I feel funny throwing them away though, because they are special. An easy solution: pack them away! Then, when you have kids you can pull them out and reminisce... then pack them away again.

8. Ripped jeans
Need I say more?

9. Vans sneakers
They are so cool because they're hipster and punk and popular. But, purple sneakers...

10. Body con skirts and dresses
And really any skirt or dress that you have to continually pull down to make sure your girl isn't showing. I'm sorry, I know, they are so simple and make your ass look too good.

Okay, maybe just keep one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment